Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Variation among Working stress method and Limit state method
This construction video shows the variation among working stress method and limit state method.
The basic variance among Working state method (WSM) and Limit State method (LSM) is that WSM stands for an elastic design method while LSM stands for a plastic design method.
In elastic design method, the design strength is estimated in such a manner that the stress in material is controlled with its yield limit, under which the material adheres to Hooke's law, and therefore, the word "elastic" is utilized. This method is used to produce cost-effective design of simple beam, or other structural elements where the standard for evaluating the design is stress (static). But, in case of changing the evaluation standard to other factors like fatigue stress, both the methods will give similar design. Also, WSM substantially reduces the calculation efforts.
In plastic design method the stress in material is permitted to go outside the yield limit and move into the plastic zone to attain extreme strength. Therefore, the "moment-rotation" power of beam, as for instance, is applied for creating more cost-effective design. However, because of the deployment of the non-linear zone, this method comprises laborious calculation.
Given below, some other general differences:
1) Serviceability check if LSM is necessary since after the elastic region strain is greater, it leads to more deformation, therefore a check is required.
2) LSM refers to strain based method while WSM is stress based method.
3) LSM refers to non-deterministic method while WSM is deterministic approach.
4) Partial safety factor is applied in LSM while Safety factor is applied in WSM.
5) Characteristic values (resulting from probabilistic approach) are applied in case of LSM while Average or statistic values are applied in WSM.