- If required, generate bar-bending schedule.
- Specify perfect cover-clear cover, nominal cover or effective cover to reinforcement.
- Select detailed location of opening/hole and provide sufficient details for reinforcements just about the openings.
- Apply the bars and spirals which are generally available. For a single structural member, the number of various sizes of the bars should be lowest.
- There should be clear information in the drawing for the grade of the steel.
- Deformed bars should contain at their ends.
- Show distended details at corners, intersections of walls, beams and column joint and at parallel situations.
- Blockage of bars should be avoided at points where members intersect and make certain that all rein. Can be properly placed.
- In the case of bundled bars, lapped splice of bundled bars shall be made by splicing one bar at a time; such individual splices within the bundle shall be staggered.
- Make sure that hooked and bent up bars can be placed and have adequate concrete protection.
- Indicate all expansion, construction and contraction joints on plans and provide details for such joints.
- The placing of construction joints should remain at the point of minimum shear roughly at mid or near the mid points. It is developed vertically and not in a sloped manner.
Tuesday, September 6, 2016
A Useful Demonstration On Reinforcing Detailing Of R.C.C Members
A design engineer should take liabilities for ensuring the structural security of the design, details, checking shop drawing.
Detailing is also a vital part of any construction as perfect detailing of engineering designs is required in the planning and engineering phase for proper accomplishment as well as safety of the structures. Defective connections or detailing may lead to collapsing.
Detailing plays an important role for the steel structures as well as for the RCC members as it remains the translation of all the mathematical expression’s and equation’s results.
For commonly used RCC members, the detailing can be segregated for Slabs-with or without openings.(Rectangular,circular,non-rectangular-pyramid slab,triangular etc) balcony slab, loft slab, corner slab etc
Beams – With or without openigs.(Shallow & deep beams)
Columns – (Rectangular,l-shape,t-shape, circular,octagonal,cross shape etc)
Detailing for gravity loads differs with the lateral loads particularly for the SEISMIC FORCES.
A different types of detailing is essential for the Rehabilitation and strengthening of damaged structures.
For perfect DETAILING, the following processes are necessary:-
Make drawings perfectly and label each bar & show its shape for accuracy
Cross section of retaining wall is collapsed instantaneously due to placing of soil backfill that contains ¼” dia instead of 1-1/4” dia. The error may happen as proper rebar dia was covered with a dimension line.
To read the complete article, visit www.engineeringcivil.com