Given below, some useful tips to reduce the cost of home construction :-
The construction cost of a home is segregated into following five categories :-
1. Land Cost: Cost of owning a land parcel for House construction 2. Design Costs: It comprises of architectural, structural and MEP design of the building 3. Laisoning Costs: It involves fees for government approvals like government land survey, plan approval etc. 4. Material Procurement Costs: It contains buying various types of materials like cement, steel, sand, aggregate, bricks, blocks, tiles and other finishing materials 5. Labour Costs: It comprises of the manpower costs for construction of RCC structure, brick work, plastering, other finishing works and exterior expansion (Like compound wall, hardscaping and landscaping)
Saving In Land Cost: Select the proper plot for construction: The level of the plot is a crucial factor throughout construction. If the level of the plot is much lower as compared to the road level on the front, then the greater quantity of filling material will be needed and entire construction cost will be raised. Therefore, opt for a land parcel that is neither extremely high or low with regards to the level of the road.
Check development regulations: Survey area that has the feasibility to construction building in near future. It is presently accessible at low cost. Verify FSI of the area; more FSI signifies less total cost of owning a home. If FSI is less, then it is required to purchase more land to develop same area of construction.
As for instance: If you make plan to purchase a 1000 sqft plot area and searching at 2 localities. You local municipality or DC (Development Control) provides FSI for each area on the basis of several factors. Therefore, if a plot contains 2 FSI, it is possible to build up a 2000 sqft building whereas in a plot with 1.5 FSI, 1500 sqft are can be built up.
It should also be remembered FSI regulations will be altered in due course, so you have to select the exact plot as per your present and future requirements.
Saving In Construction Material Procurement:
Cement: It is recommended to purchase local/regional branded cement. Use only local branded cements like Chettinad cement, Penna cement, Maha cement etc. since they have standard quality and are available at better prices.
The proper grade of cement should be utilized to make best use of the cement consumption. OPC cement is normally slightly costlier with reference to PPC cement. OPC cement is best suited for RCC structural work (like foundations, columns, roof and beams) and PPC cement is suggested for non-structural works (Like Plastering, Tiling etc.,). It will save significant costs as well as improves the quality of construction by lessening of cracks (because of less heat of hydration).
To make best use of the cement consumption in structural concrete, the fly ash can be mixed with caution (15 to 25% as part replacement to cement) with OPC 53 cement. It will reduce the costs but the longevity will be increased (as degree of permeability will be low).
Bricks And Blocks:
1. It is recommended to purchase local bricks which are easily accessible. As for instance the first class red clay brick and fly-ash brick in your locality. Select a brick with low cost. Both fly ash bricks and red clay bricks have good strength.
2. In case of building up a structure containing over 3 floors, then AAC blocks should be used in place of bricks. Although AAC blocks alias concrete blocks are more expensive as compared to the bricks, but their weight is light. It will reduce the steel consumption per unit constructed, since dead load is decreased to one-third. Since AAC blocks contain low thermal conductivity, they can allow you to save electricity costs for cooling your rooms.
Plastering: Opt for Neeru (lime) Finish for internal plastering.
Doors And Windows:
3. Refrain from using wooden door frames. Rather use RCC door frames which will save up to 30% of the cost for Door framing.
4. Opt for PVC doors for Bathrooms and other wet areas like dry balcony etc.,
5. Opt for laminated flush door or block board for door opening except for the main door. It will reduce the cost of door work by 25%.
Flooring: 6. Utilize cement mosaic tiles to decrease the cost of flooring works. Choose size that leads to less wastages.
7. Opt for locally accessible granite for Kitchen platform and stair case steps. Utilize cut/waste piece of tiles in steps riser.
Grill And Railings: Utilize painted MS section for staircase railing and grills
Electrical Material: Use local make switches and sockets but always select for branded wires for House wiring.
Light Fitting: Choose light fittings which are inexpensive initially but also save up on the electricity charges and maintenance costs in the future.
Avoid False Ceiling: Though false ceiling performs as good insulation but is very costly. Select for a simple POP finish to the roof.
Paints: Utilize Semi-acrylic paint for internal and external walls which can save upon the cost.
Plumbing CP Fixtures & Sanitary: The cost of sanitary and CP fixtures differ based on the type and quality of products which are utilized in the building and its cost reduction depends on the individual preference. Select economical local/regional brands. Plumbing and Sanitary fixture will be easily substituted anytime devoid of demolishing in future. So, these can be substituted later with your selected fixtures and cost will be reduced.
To get more details go through www.happho.com